SEO Case Study
The Scotland Kilt Company is a family-run business, based in Edinburgh with a flagship store in the centre of the city.
They have been selling online for the last 10 years with ambitions to grow in the UK and the US. Managing much of the marketing activity in-house with a handful of agency support they have earned every bit of market share with fantastic products from locally sourced suppliers.
The Scotland Kilt Co had a number of challenges associated with their ambition.
Firstly they were targeting both the UK and the US in the same way, not differentiating for the different users, this limited their reach and potential significantly.
Secondly, there was a lot of ground to make up between them and their competitors. Any success would not happen overnight so a long-term approach would be needed.
Finally without any consistent and dedicated focus on SEO for a long period meaning technical and content issues had been compounded over time.
The strategy was simple, we needed to ensure the site was technically set up to take advantage of search volume in the UK and US, whilst building out relevant content to increase authority.
We started by separating out the US and UK sites. Up until this point, the same site was targeting both but with a clear difference in the way each audience searched, we knew they needed to be treated differently.
We did this simply by duplicating the site and Using HRefLang tags to inform Google of the relationship and which site to prioritise in each location. This gave us an immediate benefit across both sites.
From this point, we knew their content needed expanding. It was sparse at best and missing completely at worst. A plan to create content focussed on product pages, product landing pages and article content. This constant addition of content expanded the number of keywords the site ranked for and increased considerably and consistently.
While the content was being rolled out we made sure the site was ticking all the boxes for Google and providing a good user experience by;
Of these, page speed was a huge focus. With the core web vitals update we knew we needed this to improve. We decided to introduce AMP pages across some of the core landing pages. This not only improves the speed of the site and importantly the Core Web Vitals we also saw conversion rates improve showing the impact this had on the end user.
Most recently we have continued to focus on content. Some core optimisation tweaks have been around targeting ‘womens’ instead of ‘ladies’, when starting the contract we noticed that ‘ladies’ had more search volume in the US so we decided to target this initially. After a while, we then noticed this had shifted and ‘women's’ was now the prominent search in the UK and therefore reverted back to this in our optimisations.
There were a lot of immediate improvements seen from technical fixes and changes. But the real impact was seen over time as the content was constantly optimised and added to the site to see consistent growth.
We’ve worked with a variety of companies to produce outstanding results. From internationally recognised brands to small family-owned businesses, we’ve gotten to know our clients inside out to produce perfect projects and create captivating campaigns that truly express their message and values.