CRO/UX Case Study
Electricals 24/7 has been providing hardware to businesses for years and in recent years launched a direct-to-consumer arm of the business.
The electricals market is highly competitive and the components can often be of low value so volume is key. With ever-increasing competition in the market, the costs of acquiring new customers were continuing to rise to make their current question channels less and less effective.
We were challenged with lowering acquisition costs, giving them room to grow and take more market share. We quickly identified an opportunity to improve conversion rates to maximise the value of the traffic they were already generating and then lower the acquisition costs.
We knew an increase in conversion rate would allow for easier customer acquisition. The first port of call was therefore to identify where improvement could be made, where users were dropping off and ultimately where on the site was bad user experience.
We conducted a full data analysis and heuristics review for the site. Looking at user journeys, landing pages and core functionality. Identifying 3 core areas for improvement:
The site was not optimised for devices
It was easy to see that user experience was focused on the desktop, and whilst there were still a lot of desktop users coming and converting. The majority of the website traffic, like most sites, was mobile. This was not optimised, there were a few basic errors in style and functionality that were causing problems with the conversion rate.
We identified a number of quick wins and got the team to implement these. The results post-implementation were great. With the mobile conversion rate increasing by 83%.
The checkout was not optimised for conversion
Data showed that there was a high number of users adding to the basket and failing to make it through the checkout process.
We reviewed this and identified a few core changes that we hypothesised would improve the conversion rate. We implemented these through Google Optimise by running A/B testing. The results for two of the tests showed a 16.7% and 19.3% increase in conversion rate.
These were then rolled out permanently to the site.
The site's average order value was low
The client knew that users bought more items of a higher value than they were seeing through acquisition channels. So there must be an issue with how users were shopping on the site.
After reviewing the site we identified that the high-ticket items were a lot harder to navigate, with the commoditised items being shown front and centre. Data from analytics and site searches also showed that users were trying to browse more products after adding an initial item to the cart. This suggested navigationally something was wrong.
We created a number of tests to maximise the improve the navigation to increase average order value, and after a series of these, we increased AOV by 59.2% and conversion rate by 90%.
Utilising UX best practices combine with data analysis we were able to test regularly, implementing win after win and maximising conversion rate across the size.
We’ve worked with a variety of companies to produce outstanding results. From internationally recognised brands to small family-owned businesses, we’ve gotten to know our clients inside out to produce perfect projects and create captivating campaigns that truly express their message and values.